World Hypertension Day is observed every year on May 17 to increase awareness of hypertension and educate people about the problems caused due to hypertension.
Although hypertension is a lifestyle disease, it is possible to keep it at bay. To prevent high blood pressure, one needs to follow certain changes in lifestyle such as:
- Reduce the salt intake to less than 5g daily.
- Consume more fruit and vegetables.
- Be physically active daily.
- Avoid smoking and other forms of tobacco.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Reduce the intake of foods high in fats.